- This event has passed.
Teacher Appreciation Day is May 2nd
May 2, 2016
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK is May 1st thru May 7th, with Teacher Appreciation Day taking place on May 2nd. It is always celebrated during the first full week of May on Tuesday. It is a day to thank and honor our teachers for all the hard work they do. This day is celebrated in the United States by parents and students. To celebrate, students and parents take the day to do something to let their teacher (past or present) know that they are appreciated. This could be anything such as a nice card, an email, a posting to social media, a gift card, or even a piece of chocolate. The important thing is that you let your teacher know how much you appreciate their hard work and dedication to the education of children/students.
National Teacher’s Day was declared on March 7, 1980 by Congress. Some Fun Facts About National Teacher’s Day:
- There are over 3 million teachers in the US in grades K-12. There are over 56 million students.
- Teachers are thought of differently in different areas of the world. In China, teachers are highly respected and well paid.
- In Ancient Greece, teachers were some of the most highly paid skilled workers. However, many teachers in Ancient Rome were Greek slaves.
- Around 1.1 million students are home-schooled.
- There are around 98,000 public schools in the US