- This event has passed.
MOTHER’S DAY 2016 is May 8th!
May 8, 2016
Mother’s Day is a holiday set aside to honor our mothers. If we are lucky, we owe our mothers so very much for all of the hard work, love, and patience they showed while raising us. There is nothing quite like the unconditional love of a mother. Traditionally, in the US, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday in May. Various forms of Mother’s Day have been celebrated by different societies throughout the history of the world. The official holiday in the US, however, began with a lady named Ann Jarvis in 1868. Ann tried to establish a Mother’s Friendship Day after the Civil War. She wasn’t successful during her lifetime. However, her daughter, Anna Marie Jarvis, began to work on a Mother’s Day Holiday after Ann died. In 1910, Anna Marie got the state of West Virginia to declare Mother’s Day an official holiday. The rest of the nation soon followed and in 1914, it was declared a national holiday by President Woodrow Wilson. Since then, Mother’s Day has become one of the most popular holidays of the year. Happy Mother’s Day to all biological mothers, adoptive mothers, and to all women who have served as a “mother-figure” to anyone! You are all celebrated and loved!!
Some Fun Facts About Mother’s Day:
- There was a stamp commemorating the holiday in 1934.
- It is the biggest day of the year for the restaurant industry.
- Carnations are the traditional flower for Mother’s Day.
- There was a Russian mother who had 69 children over the course of 27 pregnancies. WOW…
- There are typically over 123 million phone calls on this day.
- There are an estimated 1.7 billion mothers worldwide.
- The average age of first-time mothers in the US is around 25 years old.
- Each year, around $2 billion dollars are spent in the US on Flowers for Mother’s Day.